What is the healthiest red wine?
Over the past two decades, studies have indicated that some wines, particularly red wines, offer real health benefits including lower blood pressure, improved heart health, decreased cholesterol levels, and increased longevity.
Why, though, is red wine so good for your health, and what healthy red wine options can you include with your diet?
The Power of Red Wine
Red wines contain lots of polyphenols, which are organic compounds that come packed inside many plant-based foods. Once inside your body, polyphenols act as antioxidants, which have the power to counteract free radicals that might damage your cells.
Free radicals tend to be responsible for all kinds of harmful conditions including cancer and heart disease. The two polyphenols linked to a variety of health benefits include procyanidins and resveratrol, both of which are inside red wine.
In study after study, these polyphenols have been shown to reduce inflammation in the body, resulting in an elevation of the good cholesterol and lowering the bad cholesterol.
How much wine does it take to achieve these health benefits? Studies suggest a glass a day for women and two for men should offer you the level of protection you need.
The Best Red Wine for Health Purposes
Now that you know how they work, which ones are the right choice to give you the health effects you’re looking for?
In general red wines that have health benefits usually have been fermented a lot longer. Fermentation lowers the amount of sugar in the wine but allows it to retain fruity or aromatic flavors.
Red wines made from thick-skinned grapes are also relatively healthy as they contain tannins that offer you a number of additional health benefits. These red wines don’t taste as sweet as others, but that’s a small price to pay for such powerful health benefits.
Not sure which wine to choose? Try one of these nine options.
- Barbera is a red wine from Italy with aromatic flavors. This wine is high in resveratrol and protects the heart.
- Cabernet Sauvignon is a full-bodied wine rich in flavonoids that help protect the heart from cholesterol-induced damage.
- Cannonau is made from French grapes grown on the island of Sardinia. These grapes have very thick skin and have high levels of tannins, which have potent antioxidant activity.
- Malbec is a red wine with tastes of chocolate and blackberry. It is packed with antioxidants. Made from thick-skinned grapes, it also contains tannins which have been linked to good heart health.
- Merlot is a medium-bodied wine with high levels of procyanidin and resveratrol. It is said to promote heart health by lowering blood cholesterol.
- Nebbiolo is a red wine from Piedmont that contains high levels of procyanidins. It has a fruity flavor and also contains melatonin, which is a good sleeping aid.
- Pinot Noir is rated as the healthiest wine because of the high levels of resveratrol. It is made of grapes with thin skin, has low sugar, fewer calories, and low alcohol content.
- Sagrantino made in Italy contains the highest concentration of antioxidants and is packed with tannins.
- Tannat is a full-bodied wine with a high concentration of tannins and soft fruity flavors. It is made from dark grapes that contain high levels of procyanidin.
The right red wine means various health benefits, and along with a healthy diet and regular exercise, it could be the next superfood you need to add to your diet.
PACIFIC RIM AND COMPANY is located in the Pacific Northwest. Pacific Rim and Company representatives are available to answer your wine questions and offer selections that are sure to please your palette with an online presence.