What is the Most Popular Type of Wine in 2023?
The number of wines on the market is enormous, and each year the varietals are increasing. Choosing the most popular wine in 2023 is not an easy task. In general, to determine the most popular wine, some factors like taste, aroma, flavor, and place of origin are sometimes not given due consideration. Instead, the main measure that is used to determine the most popular type of wine in North America in 2023 is simply the number of bottles sold each month.
On average, American consumers drink about 11.2 liters of wine every year, and this number has been gradually increasing over the past few decades. Based on retail data, it is estimated that Americans are the latest consumers of wine, drinking close to 4.3 billion bottles of wine each year. And when these numbers are further analyzed, one gets an idea of the most popular wine brands in the nation. What is the most popular type of wine in 2023?
- Chardonnay. Each year, without fail, Chardonnay is listed as one of the most popular wines not only in North America but globally. This medium to full-bodied white wine with crisp, fruity flavors of pear, banana, pineapple, peach, and apple, combined with hints of citrus aroma, is the most popular type of wine requested at restaurants. Chardonnay pairs well with chicken dishes, shellfish, creamy sauces, and cheeses.
- Riesling. This is an iconic wine originating from the Rhine Valley in Germany. Riesling has a wide range of flavors, from sweet to bone dry. The wine is often high in minerality, with hints of fruits like peach, citrus, and nectarine, combined with herbal flavors. Due to its versatility, it can pair well with many foods, including spicy Asian, Indian, and Thai cuisines.
- Pinot Grigio. This is the flagship of the Italian wine industry. This refreshing, light, dry wine with sharp fruity flavors, like pears and apples with floral aromas, is easy to drink. It pairs best with a variety of seafood, including shellfish.
- Sauvignon Blanc. This is another popular dry, light wine with citrus notes and garden aromas. When aged in oak, the wine acquires vanilla, spice, and mint flavors. Sauvignon Blanc pairs best with veggies, chicken, and seafood.
- Pinot Noir. This wine is a gem from the Pacific Northwest. This light to medium-bodied red wine is smooth with a combination of red fruits (e.g., cherries, cranberry, beet) and just a small hint of spices. It has a long lingering finish that is best paired with veal, lamb, and steak.
- Syrah. This rich, bold, red wine has notes of pepper, dark fruits, and spices. The best Syrah originates from Australia, where it is known as Shiraz. It is a slightly sweet wine with a jam-like taste. Syrah goes best with all types of meat, including venison.
- Zinfandel. This wine is made from the only grapes that are native to America. Grown exclusively in Napa Valley, Zinfandel is a versatile wine that is available in different styles. Unlike most other red wines, Zinfandel is aged in American oak, which gives it ripe fruity flavors with earthy aromas. It is also one of the most potent alcoholic wines that pairs well with all types of grilled foods and smoked meats.
- Malbec. This wine is native to France but is now widely produced in the Mendoza region in Argentina. This full-bodied red wine with dark berry fruits and tannins pairs well with steak.
- Cabernet Sauvignon. This most popular type of wine is a full-bodied red that is also widely popular across the globe. It is prized for its exotic black cherry and blackcurrant taste. It is a wine that pairs well with lamb, beef, steak, and all types of cheeses.
- Merlot. This is a popular medium-weight wine from the Bordeaux region of France, but the grape also grows well in Western USA. Much like Cabernet Sauvignon, it is packed with fruity flavors, complex earthy aromas, and smooth tannins. Merlot pairs well with duck, lamb, and even a hamburger.
The most popular type of wine in 2023 can vary according to your tastes, not necessarily the economic impact of sales. The majority of the popular wines mentioned above are available in most restaurants in America. Depending on the restaurant, to get a recommendation, you can ask a sommelier. What is the most popular type of wine? The more you branch out and try a variety of different wines, the more you will realize the variety that exists. Your favorite wine may change as you try and learn about all the different wines available.
Some of the popular wines of 2023 that are affordable include: