Best Wine Scenes in Movies
Consuming wine is a passion at restaurants and in homes all over the world. Millions of people consume wine every day and many have wonderful memories of their time together. But, perhaps, some of the most remarkable wine scenes from movies can help entertain your friends at your next wine function. Some of the best-depicted wine scenes in movies have appeared during wine-drinking celebrations. Jogging down memory lane, the wine movies include the following:
- Casablanca (1942): One classic romantic phrase from Casablanca that still stands strong is the line: "Here's looking at you, kid." This scene was the setup between Rick (Humphrey Bogart) to Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman), while Bogart made a champagne toast to Ilsa on a Moroccan airfield.
- The Muppet Movie (1979): In one scene, the smart and lovable Kermit the Frog requests more wine from the waiter. But the always annoying Miss Piggy corrects her romantic pal, telling him that it is bubbly they are consuming. But the wine sommelier quickly informs her that they are actually drinking sparkling Moscatel wine direct from Idaho.
- Babette’s Feast (1987). In this scene Babette, while employed by the church, has created a sumptuous feast for her uptight religious sisters who quickly discover the wonders of consuming Burgundy.
- Sister: “Surely that isn’t wine.”
- Babette: “No, that isn’t wine. It’s Clos de Vougeot, 1845.”
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988). In the scene played between Steve Martin and Michael Caine, they are debating what to do with the valuable bottles of wine.
- MC: “You can’t drink them, Freddy. They’re far too valuable.”
- SM: “So you sell them?”
- MC: “I’d never sell them; they mean too much to me.”
- Goldfinger (1964): Sean Connery playing 007 had many classic lines but this one, in particular, is delightful. In the bedroom, Bond teaches the viewers and his girlfriend how to drink Dom Perignon properly, “My dear girl, there are some things that just aren’t done. Such as drinking Dom Pérignon ’53 above a temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs.”
- The Silence of the Lambs (1991). Who better to ask than Hannibal Lecter for his wine pairing with fava beans and liver, “A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.”
- French Kiss (1955): This great romantic movie for the ages brings back the nostalgia of vineyards. In one scene, Kevin Kline tells Meg Ryan that after smelling different herbs in the garden, the wine will also taste different. For those who do not know, the French word to describe this wine feature is “terroir.”
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993): To increase the humor, Meg Ryan’s boyfriend tries to impress her by asking the waiter to bring a bottle of Dom DeLuise.
- Batman Forever (1995). The gorgeous Dr. Chase Meridian is having a conversation that goes as follows:
- Batman: “I don't blend in at a family picnic.”
- Dr. Chase Meridian: “Oh, we could give it a try. I'll bring the wine, you bring your scarred psyche.”
Conjure up more wine scenes in movies that you remember not named here. Wine movies make for great parties and get-togethers. If you have wine questions, be sure to call the experts at Pacific Rim & Company at 1-503-863-5454. If you are thinking of making some romantic memories with your partner, here are some wines that you are sure to love:
- 2021 PACIFIC RIM WICKED GOOD RED
- 2018 VIN DE GLACIÈRE RIESLING
- 2018 HAHN HILL VINEYARD CHENIN BLANC
- 2019 RAINSTORM PINOT NOIR