Our Best Summer Wine for 2023
The type of season definitely makes a difference in the type of wine people drink. With summer just a few months away, what wines should you be sipping? In general, there are some wines that are more favorable for warmer months; not only do they help cool you down, but they can quench your thirst and make you feel satisfied. What is the best summer wine?
The list of great summer wines is much longer and broader than most people realize. So how should one go about selecting summer wines? Throw a summer wine-tasting party? Yes!
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE BEST SUMMER WINE
Color: Experts say that the wine's color is unimportant; both white and red wines can be consumed during the summer. The best red wines for summer should be those that can be chilled and have high acidity and low tannins. For those who prefer white wines, try to select those that have high mineral content or are fruit; that is the key to avoiding oaked or over-aged white wines.
Alcohol content: In general, to enjoy the best summer wine, alcohol content is very important. Most people want a summer wine with an alcohol content of less than 12 percent, preferably around 10 percent or less. Overall, wines that have less than 12 percent ABV (alcohol by volume) permit you to consume slightly more without developing the effects of high-alcohol wines. This scenario is ideal if you plan to be drinking over the weekend or attending a summer party.
Acidity: The best summer wine will preferably have a moderate acidity because this offers you a crisp and refreshing sensation, which is ideal for combating the summertime humidity and heat.
Go light: When the temperatures are warm, the body prefers lighter drinks and food. During summer, the body needs to cool down, hence fresh and lighter wines are ideal. The list includes sparkling wines, white wines, and rose wines.
Chill the wine: One of the most important tips for summer is to drink wines that have been chilled. This means placing the wine in the fridge for a few hours before drinking and then using an ice bucket to keep it chilled at the table. Have a summer wine-tasting party to get different viewpoints.
WINES TO AVOID
During the summer, avoid the highly tannic red wines and those with high alcohol content. Wines with high tannins are anything but refreshing and, in fact, can give a bitter and drying sensation during warm weather.
If all this is confusing, then select rose wine, which is a versatile wine, refreshing, easy to drink, covers all your gastric needs, and will quench your thirst. What’s a wonderful way to decide on the best summer wine? Have a summer wine-tasting party, of course!
If you are looking for the best summer wine, here are some of our favorites:
- The Sweet Riesling is refreshingly low in alcohol and moderately sweet with flavors of peach and pineapple. It is one of the most versatile wines that can be paired with many foods, including Thai, Indian, and Mexican, or simply enjoyed as an aperitif.
- Our Riesling Ice Wine is perhaps one of the best wines for the summer. Soft, bubbly, and packed with aromas of lilac and Meyer lemon, it has bracing acidity and high sugar levels. It is ideal for a summer barbecue, late-night dessert, or charcuterie.
- Pinot Noir Rosé is an elegant wine with aromas of strawberry, rose petals, and pomegranate. It is completely dry with refreshing acidity and is ideal for a warm summer’s day with or without a barbecue.
- Silver Totem is our Washington version of Cabernet Sauvignon. It is not so ripe and jammy as to be a Californian and not so lean and gravelly as to be mistaken for a left-bank Bordeaux. This is a full-bodied red wine with notes of blackberry and oak that has been aged for 16 months to soften tannins and give it an extra flair.
- Our Sweet Red is a high-quality red wine from Washington that is bursting with juicy flavors of fresh, dark berries. The wine has a good balance of fresh acidity and sweetness that make it ideal for consumption with many foods.
- Our Gruner Veltliner is a dry wine with high minerality, which is balanced with flavors of white peach and citrus. This top-quality wine from Washington is prized for its wonderful aroma and softness; it is a refreshing wine for summer.