Things Your Wine Bar Cart Needs
Even though millions of people regularly drink wine, many do not have a dedicated wine bar cart. Why is a wine bar cart important? Well, for one, more often than not even simple items such as a corkscrew/bottle opener seem to disappear or get misplaced. This can make for a little frustration when it happens time and again and can take some of the fun out of drinking wine. Having a wine cart not only makes the needed accessories convenient, but more importantly, can also add aesthetics to your home. Plus, having all the bar cart essentials handy and in one place so you can get down to business sooner is ideal. If you drink wine regularly, it is highly recommended that you have a dedicated wine bar cart that can be stocked with supplies. What sort of items will you need for your cart? Let’s see.
THE WINE CART
The first thing you need to think about is size and shape. You need a wine bar cart that will easily fit into a space in your kitchen, on your deck, in your basement, or wherever you keep/drink your wine. There are dozens of wine carts on the market that meet all types of budgets, space needs, and personal preferences. Make sure the cart is sturdy and has wheels, especially if you are going to be moving it around often. Once you have the wine bar cart, then you can begin stocking it with the bar cart essentials. At this point, take some time to determine what type of wine drinker you are and how frequently you drink wine. Doing so will allow you to collect the right items for the wine cart.
Some essential items every wine cart should have include the following:
- Wine glasses. Choose glasses that are exotic, fun, or classic. There are hundreds of styles and designs of wine glasses available, but select glasses that are functional, easy to clean, and durable as well.
- The beverages. Once you have the glasses sorted out, stock up with your favorite alcoholic beverages, which may include vodka, gin, rum, whiskey, or tequila, just to name a few.
- Non-alcoholic drinks. Additional beverages, such as sparkling water and lemon juice, should be two basic items you always have on hand.
- Ice bucket and tongs. Next, an ice bucket is essential, but buy something that is visually appealing as well as functional.
- Pitchers and punch bowls. To serve your cocktails and wines, you should also have punch bowls and pitchers on hand.
- Coasters and napkins. To avoid making a mess from spilled drinks, remember coasters and napkins.
- Corkscrews and bottle opener. For opening wine, you should have at least two wine bottle openers.
- Bottle stoppers. These are essential if you want to preserve your opened wine bottle for another day.
- Aerator. Wine lovers should own a bottle aerator. In most cases, wine can be enjoyed right out of the bottle and will improve shortly after being poured into the glass; however, a true connoisseur knows that to truly unlock the flavor in any wine, letting some oxygen enter the beverage will soften and smooth the tannins. This is especially true for any astringent and bitter overtones that might be found in young wines. By pouring your wine into a decanter or using an instant aerator, you allow for instant aging to occur that mellows the wine, while also bringing out more of its complexity and aroma.
- Decanter. Just like an aerator, a good decanter can help aerate your wine, providing you with a beverage that is smooth and has well-balanced flavors.
- Polishing cloth. If you want your wine glasses to be spotless, invest in a polishing cloth.
- Serving tray. All good hosts and hostesses should have a serving tray available. If you are going to be serving charcuterie or any type of snack with your wine, you will need a visually appealing serving tray.
Whether you are a casual wine drinker or a wine connoisseur, you can make the activity more enjoyable by having a wine bar cart. There are a variety of gizmos and gadgets on the market to choose from but be practical and choose items that you will use regularly. Choose the bar cart essentials that specifically apply to your needs.
Visit Pacific Rim & Company or call us at 1-503-863-5454 to learn more. To stock your cart with delicious and affordable wines, here are some great selections for your consideration:
- 2021 PACIFIC RIM WICKED GOOD RED
- 2020 SWEET RIESLING
- 2018 RAMOS VINEYARD GEWURZTRAMINER
- 2018 SPRING CREEK VINEYARD GRÜNER VELTLINER